Chicken & Cheese Enchiladas
Cook Time: 30 Mins
Prep Time: 20 Mins
You will need:
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 (10-oz.) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 (8-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 c. cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 c. shredded Monterey Jack, divided
- 2 c. shredded cheddar, divided
- 1/4 c. freshly chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil.
- Add onion and pepper and cook until onion is soft, 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add enchilada sauce and crushed tomatoes and cook until warmed through, 2 to 5 minutes. Set aside 1/2 cup of this sauce for topping the enchiladas.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, 1 cup Monterey Jack, 1 cup cheddar, and cilantro.
- Add 1 cup of the enchilada sauce mixture and toss to combine; season with salt.
- Add a small scoop of the chicken mixture in the center of 1 tortilla, then roll up and place seam side down in the skillet of enchilada sauce. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Spread the reserved 1/2 cup enchilada sauce on top and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and melted.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.